In its capacity as the national statistical authority Statistics Denmark chairs the Coordination Committee for European Statistics. The Committee was set up in 2010 and originates from the EU Regulation on European Statistics (EC) No 223/2009. In accordance with paragraph 1 of Article 5 the national statistical authorities are responsible for coordinating all activities at national level for development, production and dissemination of European statistics and shall act as the contact point for the Commission (Eurostat) on statistical matters. In addition to Statistics Denmark, the Coordination Committee for European Statistics is composed of representatives from other national statistics producers in Denmark, compiling European statistics.
The tasks of the Coordination Committee for European Statistics are as follows:
- To ensure mutual exchange of information on:
a) New and ongoing European statistical initiatives with a view to coordinating activities for development, production and dissemination of European statistics,
b) Representation of Denmark in central European committees and councils in the Commission as well as the Council with a view to coordinating and harmonising activities.
- To contribute to answering the Commission’s general inquiries to the national European statistics producers.
- To take the initiative to cooperate and coordinate the production and dissemination of European statistics, taking place at Statistics Denmark and other national statistics producers, including the creation of frameworks for establishing cooperative forums, which can contribute to the exchange of ’best practice’.
- To discuss standards concerning independency, quality (relevance, accuracy, timeliness, punctuality, accessibility, comparability and coherence), confidentiality and response burden, which must be in accordance with national and international decisions and legislation.
- To discuss Danish standards with a view to ensuring a higher degree of internationally comparable statistics.
Participating institutions in the Coordination Committee for European Statistics